- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Push the boundaries of your painting in a comfortable setting. Paint each week from a still life or a live model, moving from representation toward expression. Begin with observation. Practice drawing, color and composition and arrive at creative and satisfying paintings. All levels welcome, but some prior painting experience is helpful.
Beginners may wish to start with Painting Basics.
Skill LevelAll Levels
All levels welcome, though some prior painting experience helpful.
Please bring to the first class:
- small notebook
- newsprint/drawing pad
- kneaded eraser
- two small 5"x7", 8"x10", or medium 18"x24". canvases or canvas board or heavy weight gessoed paper
- brushes, jar/plastic container for water, a palette, paper towels/rag
- Acrylic paint: 2 oz. size for all colors, 5 0z. size for white. (Sennelier, Golden Heavy Body, or Hue for budget-friendly)
Suggested colors: Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Light, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Green Gold, Viridian, Raw Sienna or Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, Mars Black, other optional colors (Cad Red Medium, Cad Yellow Medium, Sennelier Delft Blue, Quinacridone Magenta, Teal, Lt. or Med. Violet).
- charcoal (soft vine charcoal, & compressed)
- color wheel
- kneaded eraser
- rough newsprint paper pad 18"x24"
- Golden or Liquitex matt medium
- 12"x16" disposable paper palette pad, butcher tray or palette
- painting surfaces – your choice of stretched canvas, panel, canvas board gessoed 140 lb.or 300 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper
- Brushes: #7 or #8 Flat, #6, # 7, or #8 Filbert, #1 & # 3 Round, #20 or 24 flat or bright (or 1 in. gesso brush), 2 in. gesso brush. (Robert Simmons brand Signet recommended, Blick for budget-friendly)
- palette knife
- rags or paper towels
- jar(s) for water, large plastic yogurt container
- spray bottle (to keep your paints wet)
- disposable rubber gloves (not required but recommended)
- digital camera
Find out where to buy supplies.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
View other courses in:
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Fall 2014–Winter 2015 catalog (pdf)
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.