- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Assemblages with Found Objects
Combine an old wooden box, sewing notions, vintage toys and family snapshots with glue and ingenuity to make an evocative 3-D assemblage. Create new meanings by recombining old objects, both cherished and banal.
The first session will introduce you to the process of making an assemblage. Amy Hitchcock will bring in some of her assemblages, talk about her process and show images of other artists’ assemblages, including those of Joseph Cornell. We’ll talk about the items you would like to use for your work and then you will start your assemblage. Throughout the course, you’ll receive both practical and aesthetic advice as you construct your new work of art.
Please note: If you plan to use copies of family photographs or other personal papers, please make copies in advance and bring them with you to class.
Selected assemblage artists
- Amy Hitchcock
- Joseph Cornell
- Louise Nevelson
- Dale Copeland
- James Michael Starr
- John Gutoskey
- and some additional Joseph Cornell resources
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Skill LevelAll Levels
Please bring to the first class:
- A wooden box of any size, for example: cigar box, or old kitchen drawer
- Found objects, for example: family photographs, postcards, maps, decorative paper, other paper ephemera, sewing notions (fabric, needles, threads), old tools and hardware, parts of old dolls and toys, kitchen gadgets
If you plan to use copies of family photographs or other pesonal papers, please make your own copies in advance and bring them with you to class.
Glue, rulers, scissors, balsa wood, and assorted paints will be provided.
Find out where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Fall 2013–Winter 2014 Catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.