- By Category
- By Age Group
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Beginning Clothing Design
An introduction to clothing design, including sketching, basic pattern drafting and clothing construction techniques. Using a given base patter, alter its design to suit your tastes. Learn how to fit and prototype using a muslin, choose appropriate fabric and incorporate design details, both aesthetic and functional. Finish by sewing a simple, unique garment. More experienced students may try more involved designs.
This class requires measuring and basic sewing experience and comfort with measuring and fractions. However, it is a little less technical introduction than our Pattern Alterations and Pattern Making classes.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Basic Sewing or equivalent skills, and some experience sewing clothing from patterns.
We will supply sewing machines (or you may bring your own).
Please bring your sewing kit to the first class:
- Class 66 bobbins (plastic; please bring at least 3 to class)
- Fabric shears (Fiskars, Weiss or Gingher are recommended)
- Assorted machine sewing needles
- Common pins
- Pin cushion
- Seam ripper
- Tailor's chalk, chalk wheel, or water-erasable pen
- Tape measure 60”
- Sewing gauge
To the first class session, also bring:
- A notebook or paper
- Tracing paper (sheets or a roll, at least "18 wide, some shops sell narrower widths)
- Ruler (18"x2" or 24"x6". Clear ruler is best for pattern making)
Fabric and notions for your final project will be discussed in class and do not need to be purchased beforehand.
Find out where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Fall 16'–Winter 17' catalog (pdf)
- Spring–Summer 17' catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.