- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
For people who haven’t drawn in a long time, or want to get started. Visit the basics of composition, gesture, line, texture and tone. Working from still lifes, experiment with a variety of drawing mediums and approaches. Examples from art history will open you to drawing’s vast range. Soon you will be drawing with confidence, accuracy and expression.
This class will be appreciated by beginning artists as well as those who used to draw but have let their skills lapse. Follow it with Drawing: Beyond Basics and get an excellent immersion in drawing.
Consider also trying Draw for a Day, one-time workshops, each with a different artist, offering a variety of approaches and techniques for all levels. Or Figure Drawing Intensive, one-day workshops with popular teacher Robert Siegelman, who encourages experimentation with representation, abstraction and materials.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Please bring to the first class:
- soft and extra-soft vine charcoal, 1 package each
- kneaded eraser
- hard white eraser
- newsprint pad 18” x 24”
The following materials will be discussed in class. You do NOT need to purchase these before the first class:
- 18” x 24” pad of white drawing paper (Your choice: smooth or textured. We recommend smooth paper. We will discuss paper choices in class.)
- 1 box Char-koal
- 1 stick of white chalk or charcoal
- can of spray fixative
- roll of masking tape
Optional (to be discussed in class):
- a container of waterproof drawing ink
- a few watercolor brushes to be used with the drawing ink (at least 1 large roundhair brush for washes and one smaller brush for line work)
Find out more about where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Fall 2013–Winter 2014 Catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.