- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Make an Old Coat New: Alteration, Lining & Embellishment
Revive an old jacket or coat from your closet or a thrift store. (Don’t buy a new coat for this project.) Take an old coat to pieces and reconstruct it with new insulation, lining, styling and embellishment. Learn some fundamentals of tailoring, alteration and best practices for re-using textiles, and create something unique and fashionable in the process.
Read more here...
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Basic sewing skills
An old coat
Bring to first class. Try to avoid garments with any large, obvious moth damage or discolorations. If you don't already have one in your closet, buy one second-hand. We recommend:
- Boomerangs (Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury, MA)
- Garment District (Cambridge)
- Goodwill (new store in Jamaica Plain; also in Allston, South Boston & South End/Boston, Cambridge, Quincy, Somerville)
- or any thrift store
Bring to first class and all subsequent classes:
- 250–500 yd. spool of thread, of a color that matches or coordinates with your coat
- seam ripper
- fabric pencil or square of tailor’s chalk
- small box dressmakers’ pins
- flexible measuring tape or dressmaker’s tape
- a pair of sharp fabric scissors
- pencil or pen, for drawing
- notebook, sketchbook, or loose paper, for sketching your design and recording your measurements
Students will decide on buttons/closures and any special trimmings during the first class. These can be purchased later and should be brought to the second, third, or fourth class. If you order these on-line, be sure to ask for expedited shipping to you can receive them before the final class session.
Find out where to buy supplies.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
This class is not currently offered. Let us know if you are interested.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.