- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Explore painting techniques with exercises in specific fundamentals, using acrylics, with examples from art history. We will include realist painting, with observation of still life and landscape, and experiment with expressive, abstract and imaginative styles. All levels welcome.
Although appropriate for beginning painters with no previous experience, this is not strictly a traditional beginning painting course. You will start painting right away with few preliminary exercises.
Follow this class with Acrylic Painting in the fall.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Please note that different teachers have different materials lists. Be sure to chose the list that corresponds to the instructor you'll be working with.
Pam Hart's classes:
To the first class bring:
- small notebook
- newsprint/drawing pad
- kneaded eraser
- two small 5"x7", 8"x10", or medium 18"x24". canvases or canvas board or heavy weight gessoed paper
- brushes, jar/plastic container for water, a palette, paper towels/rag
- Acrylic paint: 2 oz. size for all colors, 5 0z. size for white. (Sennelier, Golden Heavy Body, or Hue for budget-friendly)
SUGGESTED COLORS: Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Light, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Green Gold, Viridian, Raw Sienna or Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, Mars Black, other optional colors (Cad Red Medium, Cad Yellow Medium, Sennelier Delft Blue, Quinacridone Magenta, Teal, Lt. or Med. Violet).
- charcoal (soft vine charcoal, & compressed)
- color wheel
- kneaded eraser
- rough newsprint paper pad 18"x24"
- Golden or Liquitex matt medium
- 12"x16" disposable paper palette pad, butcher tray or palette
- painting surfaces – your choice of stretched canvas, panel, canvas board gessoed 140 lb.or 300 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper
- Brushes: #7 or #8 Flat, #6, # 7, or #8 Filbert, #1 & # 3 Round, #20 or 24 flat or bright (or 1 in. gesso brush), 2 in. gesso brush. (Robert Simmons brand Signet recommended, Blick for budget-friendly)
- palette knife
- rags or paper towels
- jar(s) for water, large plastic yogurt container
- spray bottle (to keep your paints wet)
- disposable rubber gloves (not required but recommended)
- digital camera
Find out where to buy supplies.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
This course is not currently offered. Please let us know if you are interested.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Fall–Winter 2015/16 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2015
- Spring–Summer 2015 catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.