- By Category
- By Age Group
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Learn basic pattern making, starting with how to measure the human form. Build a custom-fit basic sloper, the basis of all patterns, following the figure’s natural lines and dimensions. Learn to alter your sloper to create unique patterns, and explore basic techniques for grading (adjusting for size).
This class requires patience with math; you will start to develop some technical skills. This class will move you from novice to “in the know.”
Please be aware you will go home from this class with a pattern and new skills, but not a finished piece of clothing. To complete your garment, proceed to Clothing Construction (Basic or Intermediate, depending on your experience level).
Please note: This is a somewhat technical class. You will make a generic sloper, then adapt it for your own body. But you will not complete a personal item of clothing in this particular class. Be prepared for a lot of measuring and some math.
Age Range17+, teens with instructor's permission
Intermediate Sewing or equivalent experience. This class is for students with intermediate or advanced level sewing experience.
You may use our sewing machines or bring your own.
Bring a basic sewing kit:
- straight pins
- sewing needles, assorted sizes
- fabric scissors (Fiskars, Weiss or Gingher are recommended)
- paper scissors
- seam ripper
- Sewing machine needles to fit Singer brand, size 12-14
- Safety pins
- 4 yards cotton muslin fabric
- 2 colored pencils (different colors)
- Class 66 bobbins (plastic)
- Tailors chalk or chalk wheel
In addition, plan to purchase:
- a hip curve and/or a French curve
- a straight ruler, 2” x 18” or 2” x 24” with grid (standard fashion ruler)
- an L ruler (optional)
In class we will discuss purchase of one or more commercial patterns.
Find out more about where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Fall 16'–Winter 17' catalog (pdf)
- Spring–Summer 17' catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.