NOTE: Our SUMMER PROGRAM for CHILDREN is canceled, along with all SUMMER and FALL In-House classes.
Alterations & Repairs 1W20
Learn a multitude of ways to alter and repair clothes you love: patching techniques for knits and woven fabrics, zipper replacement including trouser flies, taking in garments through tucks and darts and altering tailored garments with vents and hems. Learn some fitting techniques and how to translate fitting issues into a realized alteration. Classes will include demonstrations of common challenges. Bring in a personal garment to fit and alter. Prerequisite: Basic Sewing or equivalent skills. Limit 6 students
Theona White is a costume designer and technician.
She has worked full time on the North Shore Music Theater stitcher/wardrobe team, altering and maintaining theatrical costumes for musical productions such as 42nd Street, Mamma Mia and Hairspray. She also provided wig maintenance for the North Shore Music Theater productions of Jekyll and Hyde and Hairspray. Other positions include Assistant Milliner at Salmagundi Hat Shop and freelance Costume Designer/Technician throughout the Boston area. Credits for Costume Design include Madagascar Jr. (Greater Boston Stage Company), Memorial (Boston Playwrights’ Theater) and Good (New Repertory Theater).
She holds a Masters of Fine Arts in Costume Design from Boston University.
Sewing, Fiber Arts, Costume Design, Clothing Design
Materials & Tools:
- Bring to the first class:
- Class 15 bobbins (plastic; please bring at least 3)
- Dressmaker shears (best quality are Fiskars or Gingher)
- Paper scissors
- Assorted machine sewing needles
- Assorted hand sewing needles
- Darning Needle
- Common pins
- Pin cushion
- Seam ripper
- Dressmaker’s pencil or tailor’s chalk
- Tape measure 60”
- Quilter’s Ruler
- Dark and light color thread for basting
- Needle threader
- Zipper 6” – 8”
- Recommended: Personal projects
- Any required materials for garment:
- Matching fabric if adding patches or gussets
- Matching thread
- Additional Zippers
- Closures (buttons, hooks etc)