Fashion: Design & Sew Ages 12-16 1S20
Take an existing pattern or piece of clothing and revise it to express your personal style. Expect to complete a new pattern and a piece of clothing. Two classes each term will introduce basic fashion portfolio skills.
Prerequisite: Kids' Sewing or Teen Sewing class or equivalent skills are required.
Carol Price has been sewing since childhood, following the tradition set by her father, a tailor. She designs and sells her own line of women’s apparel, pillows, drapes, backpacks, handbags and dolls. Over the years, Carol has taught hundreds of people of all ages to sew at the Eliot School.
Materials & Tools:
On the first day, bring:
- Paper or a sketchbook
- A small pad of tracing paper
- Pencils or other drawing materials to sketch your ideas
- With instructor's advice, you will purchase your own fabric.
- Recommended sewing kit:
- Class 66 bobbins (plastic)
- Dressmaker shears (Fiskars or Gingher)
- Paper scissors
- Assorted machine sewing needles
- Assorted hand sewing needles
- Common pins
- Pin cushion
- Seam ripper
- Dressmaker’s pencil or tailor’s chalk
- Tape measure 60”
- Dark and light color thread for basting