NOTE: Our SUMMER PROGRAM for CHILDREN is canceled, along with all SUMMER and FALL In-House classes.
Intermediate Sewing 1F19
Adjust a pattern for your size; choose and cut fabric expertly. Go beyond basics with zippers and get started with a garment of your choice. Take this class as many times as you like to solidify your essential sewing skills and complete a series of projects. Prerequisite: Basic Sewing or equivalent skills.
Limit 6 students
Deborah West is a trained Sewing Educator. Owner of Dwest Designs, she has been in the sewing and fashion business for over 30 years. She has sponsored and produced fashion shows in the corporate and private sectors. In the 1980s, she co-owned Collage, Ltd., an image consulting firm whose clients included Dover-Sherborn School, Carver High School and MCI Framingham. She is former Mass. State Director of the “Make it with Wool” contest and participated as a judge in the 4-H Middlesex County Fair sewing competition.
Deborah has taught sewing at Robert Gould Shaw House, YWCA Aswalos House, for Family Services of Greater Boston's Teen Living Program and elsewhere in addition to the Eliot School.
Materials & Tools:
Recommended sewing kit:
- 1 pair 3”–4” sharp scissors (embroidery type, for cutting threads)
- 1 pair 9” cutting shears (Fiskar, Weiss and Gingher are good brands)
- common pins (in pin cushion or small box) Note: magnetic pin containers may damage computer discs
- tape measure (not pull-out)
- 6” metal sewing gauge, for measuring (Dritz or other brand)
- assortment of hand sewing needles, sizes 5–10
- needle threader
- seam ripper
- marking pencils: 1 dark, 1 light color. Use chalk or wax, not quilters’ pencils.
- thread for marking and basting. 1 white and 1 black are good choices
- size 15 plastic bobbins (please bring at least 3 to start)
- At first class, we will discuss:
- amount and types of fabric you will need
- notions listed on patterns: zipper, interfacing, etc.
Our website can suggest some places to purchase supplies: