Notice All SPRING In-House Classes and Workshops are canceled
Mixed Media 1W20
Print, stamp, paint, cut, rip and paste. Through exercises and group discussion, explore mechanics of collage and multiple ways to add layers to your work, with an emphasis on developing personal narrative. Bring your own materials to supplement those provided by the teacher. Limit 8 students
Merill Comeau is a mixed media artist who believes that, by deconstructing and reconstructing textiles and altering clothing, she can disrupt, reorder and rebuild real or imagined narratives. Her stories take the shape of installations, garments and murals that explore common human concerns and create narratives of repair and regeneration. In addition to her solo studio practice, she works with communities to create collaborative works of art, facilitating the exploration of individual identity and participants’ commonalities. This work results in site-specific installations and collaborative wall hangings.
"I explore historical and contemporary women’s roles: the toil of the maker, the privilege of the wearer, the job of mothering, how to be a ‘good’ daughter, and societal expectations for sexual and emotional expression."
Materials & Tools:
Bring a ‘travel’ kit of supplies for a day of exploration:
- A few preferred grounds such as blank paper, stretched canvas
- Your preferred tools for collage such as:
- Scissors, exacto knife, adhesives (gel medium or glue), needle/thread
- Favorite materials such as:
- papers, mementos, fibers, photographs, old work, unfinished work
- Favorite mark-making mediums such as: Water-based paints, brushes, markers, pencil, etc
- If you would like feedback on completed work, please feel free to bring that as well.