NOTE: Our SUMMER PROGRAM for CHILDREN is canceled, along with all SPRING In-House classes.
Open Sew 1W20
This open-format class is a place to work on your own projects with the teacher’s help and student camaraderie. All types of work are welcome: hand sewing, machine sewing, zippers and fine sewing techniques. Learn about great new developments in sewing tools, fabrics and notions. Start a new project or bring a project to completion. Prerequisite: Intermediate Sewing or equivalent skills.
Limit 6 students
Carol Price has been sewing since childhood, following the tradition set by her father, a tailor. She designs and sells her own line of women’s apparel, pillows, drapes, backpacks, handbags and dolls. Over the years, Carol has taught hundreds of people of all ages to sew at the Eliot School.
Materials & Tools:
You may use our sewing machines or bring your own.
Bring a basic sewing kit:
- straight pins
- sewing needles, assorted sizes
- fabric scissors (Fiskars, Weiss or Gingher are recommended)
- paper scissors
- seam ripper
- Sewing machine needles to fit Singer brand, size 12-14
- Safety pins
- 4 yards cotton muslin fabric
- 2 colored pencils (different colors)
- Class 66 bobbins (plastic)
- Tailors chalk or chalk wheel
- In addition, plan to purchase:
- a hip curve and/or a French curve
- a straight ruler, 2” x 18” or 2” x 24” with grid (standard fashion ruler)
- an L ruler (optional)
In class we will discuss purchase of one or more commercial patterns.