NOTE: All adult classes have been suspended until further notice.
Find a Class
School Partners and In-House programs
Students have their first taste of woodworking with Beth Ireland and the Eliot School Partnership Program. Video by Carla Pataky, 2013
A visit to the Eliot School. Video by Amanda Harrington & Will Weglein, Boston University Center for Digital Imaging, 2008
The Eliot School on TV
“Renovation, Expansion Eyed for Eliot School,” Neighborhood Network News, January 9, 2018— Eliot School trustees Ed Forte and Melony Swasey talk about community outreach for the Eliot School’s upcoming space renovation and expansion plans.
Around Town: Art for All, Boston Neighborhood Network TV, February 10, 2016— BNN-TV visited the Eliot schoolhouse, then partner Sumner Elementary School to hear about the Art Teachers Alliance, and finally the annual Community Youth Arts Festival in Mattapan.
BNN Interviews the Eliot School, Neighborhood Network News, January 23, 2015— Chris Harding interviews Eliot School Director, Abigail Norman, about our Youth Arts Festival and spring and summer classes.
“Fall Preview,” Chronicle, WCVB-TV/Channel 5, September 5, 2014— Yarn bombers festooned the Eliot School’s sign in preparation for their October talk and demo at the school, part of Art Week Boston. Fiber arts faculty and staff members Diane Ivey, Kelly Knight and Jessica Bucci were the culprits.
- "Eliot School Provides Update on Classes and Programming," Lauren Bennet, Jamaica Plain Gazette, February 12, 2021— "The Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts held a community update meeting as part of its Salon Series of conversations on January 27 for residents to learn about the Eliot School’s plans for moving forward."
- "Pandemic slows down three Jamaica Plain institutions' plans," Mary Ellen Gambon, Boston Bulletin, January 14, 2021 — "The expansion and redevelopment of three Jamaica Plain institutions were stalled by the pandemic of 2020: the Eliot School, the Shattack Hospital, and the Faulkner Hospital."
"Eliot School’s Teenbridge Program Creates Documentary Blending Two Generations with Animation," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, December 18, 2020 — “A documentary by the name of InterGeneration is in its final stages of editing, and is the culmination of work by teens in the Eliot School of Fine and Applied Arts’ TeenBridge program, along with its artist in residence program.”
- "From Wampanoag Myth to Modern Inequity Eliot School Teens’ Video Reflects on Past and Future," David Ertischek, Jamaica Plain News, December 1, 2020 — “Students of the Teen Bridge Program at the Eliot School of Fine and Applied Arts collaborated with elders from a variety of neighborhoods to reflect upon our past and future in a new video.”
- "Several Schools’ and Kids’ Activities Back up and Running with COVID Measures in Place," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, October 9, 2020 — “The Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts is a staple in the Jamaica Plain community for providing children and adults with art lessons in many different disciplines. The school typically provides lessons at its schoolhouse on Eliot St. as well as collaborates with the Boston Public Schools (BPS) on lessons for kids in the schools, but this year, things are looking very different.”
- "Eliot School canceled spring semester; will hold virtual fundraiser," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, March 30, 2020 — “As the coronavirus outbreak continues to take its toll on businesses and other organizations across the city, the Eliot School of Fine and Applied Arts has also taken a devastating hit.”
"Coronavirus Collateral Damage: Funerals, Animal Vets, Art Schools, Wake Up The Earth Festival, All Affected," David Ertischek, Jamaica Plain News, March 23, 2020 — “The damage wrought by COVID-19 is permeating all aspects of society. Our funerals are being affected, our woodworking classes are being canceled...”
- "Eliot School's Maggie Hill Remembered for Much More than Furniture," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, February 21, 2020 — “Maggie Hill loved to turn trash into treasure, and spent countless hours over several decades at the Eliot School...”
- "Maggie Hill Scholarship Honors Memory of Eliot School Student of Four Decades," David Ertischek, Jamaica Plain News, February 14, 2020 — “Maggie Hill took her first class at the Eliot School at 27, and continued to take them at the Jamaica Plain school into her 70s....”
"Exhibition at Eliot School Redefines How We Think About Monuments," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, October 25, 2019— “Public monuments—you probably walk by them every day without a second thought, but artist L’Merchie Frazier is trying to change the narrative around public monuments and what they mean to Americans....”
"The Eliot School Considers Space Outside of JP," Richard Heath, Hyde Park Bulletin, July 11, 2019— “‘The quest for adequate space is foremost on our minds,’ said Abigail Norman, director of the Eliot School...”
"Eliot School, in JP Since 1600s, May Move," David Ertischek, JP News, July 4, 2019— “In 1676, the Eliot School was founded when a group of residents donated corn and land...”
"Eliot School Seeks Community Feedback," Lauren Bennett, Jamaica Plain Gazette, June 29, 2019— “As the Eliot School continues to expand its programming in crafting and fine arts, it has run out of room...”
“Taking Form: FIbers and Fabric at Galatea Fine Art,” Isabel Barbi, ArtScope, March 26, 2019— “In collaboration with The Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts, Galatea Fine Art is currently presenting the works of internationally established artists who teach at the school.”
“On Her Own Terms,” Joyce Lovelace, American Craft, December 2018 — “For Alison Croney Moses, life, work, and creativity are all of a piece.” A portrait of the Eliot School's School & Community Partnership Director, who is also an accomplished educator and sculptor in wood.
“Barr and Klarman foundations team up on $25 million arts initiative,” Lillian Brown, Boston Globe, October 3, 2018— “The Barr Foundation and the Klarman Family Foundation have teamed up on a major investment, the Barr-Klarman Massachusetts Arts Initiative, granting $25 million to 29 arts and cultural organizations across the state,” including the Eliot School.
“The Eliot School Planning for Expansion,” Richard Heath, Boston Bulletin, February 8, 2018— “The Eliot School of Fine and Applied Arts... is outgrowing its yellow brick walls on Eliot Street.”
“Eliot School Announces New Artist in Residence Program, Issues Call for Proposals,” Jamaica Plain News, January 10, 2018— “The Eliot School, the 341-year-old Boston-based art center, is launching its new Artist in Residence program...”
“Eliot School Exploring Possible Expansion and Renovation; Community Input Wanted,” Abigail Norman, Jamaica Plain News, December 27, 2017— “... a panel of trustees has selected designLAB architects...”
“Eliot School Chooses Renovation Team,” Jamaica Plain Gazette, December 22, 2017— “The Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts has selected designLAB architects...”